Homeowners Insurance

Home/Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners Insurance South Africa

If you want to insure the building of your private residence, outbuildings, swimming pool etc. against fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, water, wind, storm damage etc, you need homeowners insurance cover.  When you have a bond on your home, the bank will require that insure the building on a homeowners insurance policy for the duration of the bond term.

Most homeowners insurance policies provides cover for more that just the walls and roof of your home.  Cover for broken windows, geysers, bursting of water tanks and pipes (including the damage to it), malicious damage etc. are usually included.  Premiums are based on the area you live in, construction of the roof and walls (non-standard walls and thatched roofs increases the risk and premium), the value of your home and the excess you agree to pay when you claim.

Ask the following questions when you compare insurance quotes:

  • What is included and excluded in the policy?
  • Any restrictions?
  • Additional benefits offered by the product or company.
  • The excess amount you have to pay when you claim.
  • Does the insurer guarantee your premium (e.g. 12 months)?
  • Are there any future premium increases planned?
  • Reputation of the company for paying claims?
Insure buildings and contents for a more comprehensive cover.